Thursday, June 26, 2014

One Year

Dear Readers, 

I realized recently that this little blog of ours has been up and running now for just over a year. It caused me to reflect back on the past year, how far we've come in so short a time. The struggles, the victories, how Jason and I have come to understand one another. It caused me to give thanks for the people I've met, and friends I have made. 

Writing about how we do things has, at times, been challenging. Sometimes, the challenge has been searching deep within myself for a complete understanding of how I'm feeling, how he feels, and sometimes, I feel I've only barely grasped the finer pieces of how it all fits together, as day by day we make this our own. 

Sometimes, especially as we faced serious challenges and our dynamic intensified, the challenge was taking this area of my life in which I am most vulnerable, and taking that vulnerability a step further, taking that risk and putting ourselves out there. It's hard to explain how that feels at times. It's like building something that is precious and dear to you, like an artist may feel about a work of art, and taking that risk to share it with others. You risk ridicule. You risk criticism. You risk being misunderstood. But I am so glad I took that risk. 

It's been so amazing getting to know some of you. I've enjoyed making friends, and learning about how others do things. 

It takes me longer to write things now, because as we progress, it's harder to put things into words. I often draft a post and take a week or so to fine-tune and edit. But this is not farewell. I have several posts drafted I plan on publishing, but the way things are going, it may take me a month or so! ;)

It's been amazing sharing this all with Jason. He reads this blog, and at times has put his own contributions in. I've loved being able to convey to him in writing things that somehow fall short when I try to put it in words. Things like thank you and this means so much to me, just don't convey how I truly feel, how he fulfills a desire of mine deep within me so beautifully, and so perfectly. 

But there is one thing I need to say to all of you, readers. One of the most beautiful aspects of blogging has been the feedback I've gotten from all of you. Yes, it's nice to hear the kind, and encouraging comments you all leave from time to time. But that's not what I'm referring to. 

What I love is hearing you tell me how you are trying hard at your own dynamics. How you're taking long, hard looks at yourselves and taking that risk, going down that road of self discovery. How you're falling short at times, but you're picking yourself up and trying again. 

You are courageous. You are humble. You love deeply. 

I cannot tell you how inspiring it is to hear from all of you, some of who have been married for decades and still had the courage to begin this journey. Some of you have tried and failed, and you're giving it a go again. Some of you are afraid, but willing to take that risk. Some of you have been badly hurt, but you've taken your challenges as opportunities to learn and grow. 

So I applaud you. I want to encourage you. 

Make this your own. There is no one way to do things. You will fall. You will risk being hurt. At times, things can be confusing. You may be frustrated or discouraged, but keep on going. Keep giving deeply from within yourself. 

My hope and prayer is that all of you find, as Jason and I have, that this is much more challenging than you ever thought it would be, but that it so much more beautiful than you ever imagined. 



12 comments:

  1. What a wonderful post! congratulations on a year of blogging. Your encouragement of others is greatly appreciated here and elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. It's an awesome resource. Really appreciate hearing your experiences and insight and of course the time you must put into it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you find it helpful. And thank you.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful post! You are very much an inspiration to others-we. Your readers at times may be floundering but after reading something you wrote we are reminded to keep moving forward. That we should make this our own, that we should not compare ourselves or our relationship. However, many times when reading a post of yours I have had an "a ha" moment where something you write about strikes a chord deep within me and I am able to find the courage to show the post to my husband so that we are able to discuss it together. You help many of us (myself and my husband included) to do more growing within our own marriages/dynamic, and for that-I thank you from the bottom of my heart!
    Congratulations on your little over a year anniversary!
    Love,
    Scarlet ; )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scarlet, you are too kind. Thank you so much for your encouragement as well! I love that you find inspiration and empathy here. Keep on keeping on, sister!

      Delete
  4. I check your blog everyday and it means a lot to me

    I'm especially grateful for this advice (or my interpretation of it):
    -to focus on encouraging his dominance rather than criticizing
    -to focus on the journey and not ever expect perfection
    -to focus on using the right words to show him submission
    -to expect setbacks

    Its more complicated than this I know but these principles have helped me so much. I would've already made so many more wrong turns. It's not easy but it's worth it.

    Thank you so much

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, yes, yes! Those are exactly the things I've found so helpful in my own d/s relationship with Jason, and I hope to you continue to find inspiration as we share our journey. We all make mistakes -- I still do ALL the time. If I didn't, I wouldn't end up over his knee! ;) But what we learn can help us grow stronger, both as an individual and a couple.

      Delete
  5. Well said! And a belated happy Blogaversary.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! We'd love to hear from you.

Dissenting comments are welcome but please, be polite. Any rude or slanderous comments will not be published.