Monday, April 6, 2015

Hello, checking in.

Hello, readers. 

Jason suggested I take a bit of a blogging break, and I thought his suggestion was wise. 

You see, I've been blogging for a little while now, and I feel as if it's time for a change. Many D/S bloggers stop blogging after a year or two, for a variety of reasons. I suspect I know some reasons why. 

First, there comes a point when what you share becomes very personal. The nature of blogging means that you need to be discerning in what you share and what you don't, and it becomes more difficult to make that judgment call. 

Second, you begin to wonder...what should I share that I haven't already shared? Really, how many times and in how many ways can I say the same things? You don't want your writing to become stale or repetitive. 

Third, blogging takes up a great deal of time...and so does living a D/S dynamic. It becomes difficult to find time to do both. 

And there are other reasons. Many of us start in the same place, but the nature of a D/S dynamic means that every one of us will arrive at different places, and the longer a couple embraces the dynamic, the more individualistic that one dynamic becomes. Sharing things on a blog therefore becomes riskier. You risk offending, scandalizing, or being misunderstood. I've done all those things. 

It's okay. I know it's a risk you take when you blog. Still, it can be hard when that happens.

So over the past few weeks, I've been thinking. I've sought the counsel of a few dear friends who've also read my little corner of blog land. I've talked to Jason. And I've wondered...has my purpose here come to an end? 

I had decided to stop blogging. I've been told by another fellow blogger that blogging is “narcissistic.” I'm not sure that's true, but I know I want to avoid that. I never want to brag, or make it “all about me,” and it was my strong desire to avoid that type of blogging that contributed to my initial decision to fold my cards. 

But as I thought it over, I was encouraged not to stop, but to re-think. Maybe it's time for a new format. Maybe it's time to approach things differently. A dear friend asked me what it was that I gleaned from blogging? Was it worth it for me to continue? And over the past few weeks, as I've contemplated this, I decided that yes. It is. I love writing. I am passionate about D/S. And nothing is more satisfying to me than when someone writes and says thank you for making me feel understood.

So please bear with me as I try to ease my way into a bit of a different format...I'm thinking more literary at times, and maybe a bit more introspective, but I'd also like to try some give and take, perhaps with some reflection and open-ended questions for discussion. I have some ideas I'd like to try, and I'm not quite sure how it will all work. So thanks for hanging around, and coming along for the ride. 

23 comments:

  1. I'm glad you are sticking around! I love reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy reading what you post and i look forward to reading whatever you are comfortable with sharing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the support and encouragement! :)

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for not stopping. Gabe and I have gleaned so much wisdom from your posts. It has helped us so much as "newbies." I love the way you write too. I will be here for the ride, whatever format you decide!
    Megan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Megan, thank you! I'm so happy my posts have helped you two. Jason has recently started allowing me to read blogs again (long story lol!) and I found yours the other day. I love it!

      Delete
  4. Glad you're staying!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello again, JGirl :)

    I've been gone from blogging for a while and just recently returned. I love your idea(s) and am looking forward to your new format!

    Sadie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadie! How nice to "see" you again. Thanks so much for your support!

      Delete
  6. JG,
    I've been lurking and reading your blog for some time now. I enjoy your writing and your information very much. Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I truly appreciate you venturing out of lurkdom for the kind words and encouragement. Thank you. :)

      Delete
  7. You are someone who I would hate to see leave. Your blog is one that I have come to enjoy a great deal. It always gives me lots of food for thought. I am glad you will sticking around for awhile longer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Angel. Thank you for your encouragement, and for being a faithful supporter. It means a lot to me.

      Delete
  8. I'm glad you decided to stay:) I will be here to follow!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your blogs have always provided a look at both sides of a D/s relationship and the strong love between you and Jason. In addition, you have a great writing style.
    I'll be waiting for your return!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your blogs are so helpful to us. Your posts are wonderfully written. Thanks for taking the time and energy to share your journey with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad they've helped you, and I appreciate the kind support. Thank you!

      Delete
  11. I am so glad you are not giving up, just changing your format a little. I understand what you are saying completely. It is sometimes very difficult to keep things fresh and interesting. I look forward to reading your revitalised blog.

    Hugs
    Ami

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ami! I appreciate your support as well, and I do hope a little shift keeps things fresh!

      Delete
  12. JGirl,
    I have recently found your blog and have gained much insight. We are brand new to D/s and it's hard to get the kinks worked out. Setting others being successful helps me keep trying! I would be very sad if you stopped sharing, so thank you for continuing, for those of us who need to know that this "thing" can work!
    Hugs,
    Adrienne

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! We'd love to hear from you.

Dissenting comments are welcome but please, be polite. Any rude or slanderous comments will not be published.