Wednesday, August 26, 2015

The Day to Day

Hello, readers! School begins next week, so things are getting busy here. I know many of you can relate! 

Recently, I've had a few blog readers write to me with questions. Because the questions were asked multiple times by a few readers, I thought it might be good to elaborate a bit in a blog post, as other readers may be interested as well. 

One reader said she couldn't really imagine how our “day to day” looks, with small children in our home. I've mentioned in several posts that we are raising a family, and several readers have asked how this works. How is it possible to maintain a fairly intense level of d/s in the home, with all the commitments we have? I thought I had written about this, and didn't want to get into a narcissistic post, but when I asked around a bit, it seems I really haven't written much about this. Others were indeed curious. And the nature of blogging means that new readers come in and out frequently.

So, I'm going to take a little bit of time to explain how things work for us. As I've said before, how it works for one couple won't necessarily work for another. But maybe there are some approaches that do help, as others find their own way? 

Saturday night, Jason and I went out on a date, just the two of us. When we were there, I mentioned something about our dynamic, though I can't really remember now how the conversation started. He smiled, and shrugged. “It's funny,” he said. “In the beginning, it's all kind of novel.” He made a swinging motion with his hand (spank, spank, spank!), while I blushed furiously and hoped no one noticed. “But after a while, it just becomes the norm. Routine. This is what we do. This is who we are.” 

And really, that sums it up quite nicely. 

I know when I started out, I wanted to read everything. It was always on my mind. I was so consumed by the thought of a DD dynamic, and had no idea this was really how anyone ever did things. I was so drawn to it! And certainly as we incorporated more and more into our dynamic, things became even more consuming, as we had to figure things out. But now, that really doesn't happen. Now, it's about us maintaining the dynamic we've set in place. 

So how do we do it? 

First, I should explain that we do have a fairly large family, ranging in age from toddler to pre-teen. For privacy reasons, I try not to blog too many details (such as our location, the number and ages of our children, etc), but I'm just trying to paint a picture here. We have enough older children, who are responsible and not little tykes anymore, that having daily moments of privacy is completely reasonable and manageable. It's different if you have a toddler or baby, or little one's that need constant supervision. We're not in that position. Our children do not need constant supervision, as some of the older ones are old enough to stay home alone and help watch their younger siblings. This makes a difference. 

Every single morning, before Jason leaves for work, we have our morning check-in with each other. We do this privately. The kids are downstairs, have had breakfast, and are at the other end of the house. They are safe, because as I've explained, we have older, responsible children and all our children have been taught to give mom and dad a few minutes in the morning together, uninterrupted (barring anything very important, of course), as we plan our day. We've been doing this for a very long time now. They know this is how we do things. But we don't take a long time doing this, either. It takes a few minutes, sometimes a bit longer, but rarely more than five minutes. This is when he goes over my rules. I kneel, he asks me to tell him what he expects of me that day, and he goes over my daily to-do list. He rearranges things, eliminates or adds things if necessary, and I have my daily plan. Then, I go over his knee. We have a variety of implements that are quiet, and have done the “sound” test, so we know any spanking cannot be heard downstairs. Fortunately, we have an older, but solidly-built house, and our room is nearly soundproof. 

He does occasionally smack my bottom in a teasing way, so if our kids ever hear anything, they can chalk it up to dad teasing mom. This has happened. We are confident our kids do not know the details of our dynamic, as we maintain a high level of discretion, at least with the spanking element. 

So we have our morning check-in. I'm set on the right track and so is he, as he likes knowing he's leaving me in a good place before he leaves. 

As the day goes on, I follow my plan. I have it listed in order of priority, tasks I have here at home, things I need to get to, and things I'd like to get to. This is pretty normal stuff, like everyone else likely has. I'm a “type A” kinda gal with a good deal of goals I'm trying to accomplish, so I'm pretty regimented about this myself. I have a whole “monthly goal” list broken down into weekly, then daily, that I tackle day by day. 

Whenever I'm feeling emotional, upset, stressed, etc., it's an expectation here that I'm to go immediately to Jason. However, he's got an intense job and isn't always available. So he expects me to send a text when I'm feeling overwhelmed. I'm not allowed to get to the place where I “lose it.” Not allowed to spiral out of control, lose my temper, hide my feelings or emotions, or anything of the sort. So that's why we have this in place. Now, he can't always respond immediately, but just having that outlet for me to go to when I need to, helps me. And when he can, he responds. 

He does expect me to check in throughout the day, when I can. Some days are very full, and I check in rarely. I love being able to send him positive messages, though, to let him know things are going well, that I'm managing my list, we're having a good day. And some days when things are more challenging, I find the act of messaging him alone often helps me process. And this helps him, too, as he can help me before I spiral out, but he also sees patterns and can help me. Things like, “When you start your day off doing X, I find that you seem to have a hard time getting to Y.” And we can both, together, come up with a better strategy. 

It helps to get even those very very brief messages from him. “You're such a good girl.” “That's my girl. I'm proud of you.” “I miss you.” “I can't wait to see you tonight.” He messages me very short things like that regularly, and I just love it. 

So during the day, that's about the extent of our communication with one another. But it is regular. I'm constantly thinking of what he expects of me, because we've gone over his expectations before he left for work. I know if there are things he really really wants me to do, and I don't get too derailed, because it's not allowed. He's reasonable, of course...if something comes up that's unavoidable, then I need to make the best judgment call I can. But mostly, he expects me to stick to the plan we have at the beginning of the day, and if I don't, he expects a good explanation. 

When he comes home, just like the morning, the kids are expected to give us a brief time together to go over our day. Again, it's just a few minutes, but they do give us privacy. Before anything else gets done. Before we eat dinner. He and I go alone to our room, shut and lock the door, and we go over our day. He checks in with me. Was I able to stay on plan? If not, why not? Did anything come up that he needs to know about? How am I feeling? Is something bothering me? I tell him anything I need to. And he always asks me if there's anything he needs to know...did I break any rules? 

Punishment is mostly very rare. But occasionally, I do have to tell him... I swore. I was late for an appointment and I was speeding. I lost my temper with so-and-so. It happens. If it's a fairly minor infraction, he'll usually have me go over his lap right then, and spank me. If it's more serious, which is even rarer, he'll usually have me wait until the kids are in bed for the night. If I'm getting close to the edge on something, he may issue a stern warning.

Sometimes, I tell him I'm tired, or overwhelmed, or grumpy. He'll tell me he wants me in bed early, or when the kids go to bed, he thinks a good, centering spanking is in order. He'll often ask me how I want to spend my evening, and he'll tell me if there's anything he wants to do, too. Evenings are our down-time, and after our kids go to bed, we usually spend some time together, or doing our own things (like reading). 

What about obeying him in front of our kids, and family? Everyone knows I obey Jason, but out of respect for me, he's discreet in how he handles things. He does not make any bones about calling the shots, but most of the time it's a fairly nonchalant way about things. "No, I don't think we should make that committment. Let's plan a different time instead," he might say, and I'll nod and agree. Or he might say, "Don't forget sunblock when you all go to the beach tomorrow," and sometimes he's quite stern about things. But this is how he is. He leads with kindness, but he is in charge. It's just how he is, and everyone, from our friends, to our kids, to our own parents, know that it works for us. 

Just the other day, I was going for a run, and Jason insisted I go to the gym instead of the small park near my house with a track (where I wanted to go). I was a bit miffed. I wanted to run outside and I told him. I got "the look" and "I said no. It's dangerous and I don't want you there alone." I knew then that the conversation was over. This was in front of our whole family, and they know, this is just how we do things, but it's not unusual for me to tell a friend, "My overprotective husband said I'm not allowed." They laugh, as they know I love my overprotective husband, and he's only overprotective because he loves me. No one ever, ever questions my obedience to him. 

If I push...I'm only human, and occasionally hormonal tendencies make me a bit, er, unreasonable...he will give me a warning, but he's discreet. There's a hand squeeze signal, or he'll say something like, "Do we need to discuss this privately?" I know what he expects. There have even been times when he's stopped me in my tracks with a very discreet number. "That's ten." My stomach plummets and I behave myself as I know exactly what "ten" he means, ten right over his lap. 

We also have a code word, though. If I'm getting overwhelmed or angry or something similar, we thought a few years back it would be helpful to have a code word so I could communicate discreetly with him. However, we never came up with a word, so I literally just say...code word! Ha! Then he knows I need him.

Our children take up a good deal of our time, and that's the way things should be. I love raising a family with Jason. He's such a fantastic father. Our kids just adore him. And he helps me to grow into being the mother I want to be. Every parent knows how it goes...you can have a romantic evening planned, and a little knock on the door means you may have to make room in your bed for a little one who had a nightmare. D/S couples are no exception. We frequently have to put down what we have in mind to tend to the needs of our family. This is why we check in with each other at least twice a day, but it's also why our check-in's are so brief, (though, when things heat up, as they are wont to do, it  a can take a little longer! )

In short, we're really just an average couple, who has a pervasive dynamic that's discreet. I wear a collar that looks just like a necklace. I obey him, and he has the right to discipline me, yes, but it all just dovetails with our normal day-to-day. Our dynamic is, indeed, foundational, but, as Jason said, “This is what we do. This is who we are.” Because D/S works for us, and is at center of our relationship, it keeps things going. We have intimacy, and peace. We are able to manage challenges that come up. Our dynamic doesn't preclude all the other things we're called to do. Instead, it helps us fulfill all we're called to do, as we are a team, helping each other grow, as our own relationship flourishes. 

I will forever be grateful we found this when we did.

12 comments:

  1. Sounds perfect! and perfectly normal. Isn't that strange? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! You've been completely converted over to the dark side! :p

      Delete
  2. The thing that strikes me most as I read this is that you are both a fantastically committed couple and a loving family. D/s has simply added a depth to the bond already there. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! What a kind comment. I do feel as if it's just added a depth to what's already there.

      Delete
  3. JG: what a happy "life together affirming" way you two have developed to live this. With dd and ds so often represented in the culture through ugly, extreme imagery, I wish that every discussion of the topic would include a link to this post, so people could know how loving and affectionate it is.

    DD. To often the "discipline" gets blown up all out of proportion to the domesticity. Not here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Artlover, I do agree that often the discipline part gets blown out of proportion. I feel it was that way for a short time with me and jason, but over time, as we've talked things out and learned together, that's become only a very small part of the whole, and as you said, the whole is loving and affectionate. Intimate and peaceful.

      THank you for your encouraging comment. I always appreciate your support. :)

      Delete
  4. Thank you so much for this description of life in your household. I was brought up by a traditional, stay at home Mom, and her focus seemed child centered. My Dad centered his mind on his business and I think Mom had a lot on her plate: budget, homework, chores and laundry, groceries. He worked and tended the lawn and car. She had health problems and was often nervous and I think she would have loved his help emotionally (and some with the other tasks too).
    The reason I explain this is that in my own home earlier on, we fit in our wants or needs around those of the children, especially in being involved in coaching or volunteering. We worked more as a team than my parents, but I should have put my husband and our marriage more in the forefront. Thankfully, when college age rolled around for our kids, we did focus on reconnecting and intimacy grew and companionship too. My husband is not as helpful when I am overwhelmed or nervous as Jason sounds, but he will pitch in to relieve me of some things. I defer to his leadership in all the big decisions and we have a fairly peaceful home. Spankings occur too, but not with real consistency.
    By the way, as a retired teacher, I think you are teaching your children independence and responsibility, along with a good model of married life, and that will be valuable for them in life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Kate, I apologize it took so long to write! But thank you for asking the question that prompted the blog post. The feedback (here and email, etc) has been very good, so I think readers appreciated the glimpse into daily life.

      I agree that when a male-led dynamic works for a couple, it can help the natural nervousness/anxiety, etc., many of us women experience fairly regularly.

      I think it's very common to get involved in raising children -- it's a very challenging task! -- and put the marriage on the forefront. I firmly believe a happy mom and dad is a gift for the kids, and that even when they're taught mom and dad need private time together (instead of dropping everything for what the kids need), they may initially rebel, but will benefit ultimately from having parents who are a united front, and whose marriage is functioning well. Our kids often make comments about us "love birds" etc, and I think it shows that our strong relationship brings them security.

      That's great that you and your husband were able to reconnect when the children grew older, and that you've rediscovered imtimacy and companionship. I love that!

      And thanks for your comment about teaching the kids responsibility. I think we always make a huge effort to meet their needs, of course, but when they see that mom and dad need time alone, it helps emphasize their own security, that mom and dad are a united front and love each other.

      Delete
  5. Details are different of course, but this is how Nash and I feel about D/s too. It's just a part of who we are now and how we do things. It helps us manage the rest of our lives. And we're grateful we found it when we did also. Great post! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Everything else falls into place when the dynamic is working well -- mutually beneficial, and we reap so many positives!

      Thanks for stopping by. :)

      Delete
  6. JG, I wonder in how DD affects the way you and especially Jason relate to the children? Has he become a bit more authoritative with them, too, as a result? Does he spank them at all?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, Jason was always authoritative with our children. He's the oldest of a large family, a manager in his job, and it comes naturally to him. Regarding children, he would never discipline a child the way he does in our consensual agreement. and I don't discuss the disciplining of minors on my blog.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! We'd love to hear from you.

Dissenting comments are welcome but please, be polite. Any rude or slanderous comments will not be published.