Monday, February 20, 2017

What a Daddy Does

Well, it’s that time of year. Seems everyone I know is sick in one way or another. I can’t complain, since it’s been nearly a full year since we’ve all come down with something, other than a few minor colds, but now, it’s hit us hard. Jason was sick the worst, at first. I feel needy for him, when he’s in bed sick. I miss the attention, having his help, and I just miss him.  He snuggles me and brushes my hair back off my forehead and tells me on the days that he can’t check me in that he’s still my daddy, and I’m still his good girl.

I put on a brave front, and do what needs to be done. I take things easy, and don’t put too much pressure on myself. I keep meals simple, and keep the kids away so he can rest. And then sure enough, just about the time when Jason is getting back to normal, I get plagued with illness. Fevers and chills and a headache.

Now we all know what it’s like when mom is sick. Life must go on! Moms don’t get to be sick.

But things are a bit different when there’s a daddy in the house.

But, like moms do, I push through anyway because mom can’t afford to be sick. I am not only sick, I’ve got those raging hormones, and it seems just impossible to be nice to everyone. I snap at my son, and let loose a few nasty things that I should not say. Jason comes over to me and sees me sitting in a chair, too tired to even move. He puts his hand on my forehead and says I’m warm. “Up to bed with you,” he says with gentle sternness. “I’ll take over.” And he does. He comes up to my room and sits on the bed, rubbing my back and tucking the blanket in around me. “You rest,” he says. “You’ve done nothing but take care of all of us when we were sick. Now it’s your turn.”

I feel awful, but I can’t say I don’t like the feeling of being taken care of like this. He does the laundry, and cooks meals. He manages the kids, and checks on me from time to time. I fiddle around on my phone when I’m not dozing, as it’s hard to concentrate and read when I feel sick like this. He comes up to me and pulls me into a cuddle, and kisses my forehead.

Because that’s what a daddy does.

But I feel guilty for having snapped at everyone. I don’t like when I behave like this, and I’m ashamed of myself. I know I have excuses, and I’m not myself, but I don’t like excuses. We talk a bit, and when he asks how I’m feeling I tell him, and he holds me. I apologize for being bratty. He kisses me again and says in that sweet-stern way of his, “We will deal with your attitude when you feel better. You know that little girls aren’t allowed to behave that way.” My heart thumps and I nod, both ashamed yet secure.

“I know, daddy,” I whisper. “I really am sorry.”

He nods. “You’ll go over my knee for that later, but for now you need rest.”

I squirm a bit. I can’t help it. I need to know. “It won’t be very bad, will it?” I ask.

He merely gives me an appraising look and shrugs. “Well that, little girl, is up to you, now, isn’t it? Are you going to behave yourself?”

Gentle-stern. Sweet but serious. He cares for me, but makes sure I don’t lose the sure footing of his dominance.

Because that’s what a daddy does.

He leaves me to go cook for our brood, and instructs the kids to clean up. They do. And when all is said and done, he orders me to stay in bed and get in my jammies. I do. A short while later, he peeks in on me, lifts the covers, and says, “Jammies?” He’s checking to make sure I’ve done what I said I would. He nods and tucks me back in.

Keeping me safe, and cared for, and making sure that I’ve obeyed. And yes, he did spank me, but it wasn't awful. It was sorta what I needed, I think.

Because that’s what a daddy does. 

14 comments:

  1. That is so sweet. What blessing he is. My hoh is similar in how things work for us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks, Lee. Definitely on the mend. :)

      Delete
  3. Aw..so sweet. Your post expresses the beauty of this dynamic and how it allows one's life to stay afloat and not derail when life happens to us ( especially when it's not suppose to 'cuz your mom!). I love the value you express in sharing how simple obedience of a few directives goes a long way in aiding his need to hold down the fort while you rested. Fighting him would have made a challenging situation much more difgicult. Kuddos to you for finding you submissive self amidst what must have felt aweful in all that sickness and hormones. Sometimes sickness and hormones can have us holding onto control. To be able to put that aside speaks volumes to the practice of submission you have been so diligent with and pay off of security, connection and care- taking you received during this time. Thank ypu for the wonderful read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your thoughtful response, Jo.

      Delete
  4. Very sweet. Hope you're feeling better soon.


    Hugs Lindy xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a sweet post! I love that you shared how you needed his gentle sternness to feel secure. I can definitely relate to needing that myself ... fortunately my Daddy knows now that when I am sick or stressed his consistency gives me those boundaries I crave to feel safe. I must say it took awhile though for us to understand how that piece works for us. You are such a lucky girl that Jason always seems to know just what you need! Hope you are feeling much better now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took some time before he understood I needed more, not less, dominance during times like these, just like you. And I am grateful he is so good to me!

      Delete
  6. I.wish my husband could or would read this. I think he would have a better understanding of what a Dom's rule is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would he allow you to read it to him? Many of my readers share the posts together. There's so much to communicate with one another.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! We'd love to hear from you.

Dissenting comments are welcome but please, be polite. Any rude or slanderous comments will not be published.